Last week I shared a post that probably irritated just about everyone. In that post, I made clear my feelings about the Presidential Candidates this year–and the character concerns I have re: each of them. I observed that this slate of candidates was the predictable outcome of a culture which increasingly rejects God and elevates ‘self’.
I also called for the Church–those of us who love Jesus and worship Him as Savior and Lord–to ask God to ‘revive’ us–meaning to show us our sin, our apathy, and to stir us up so that we love Him and Worship Him with all our hearts, and that we let His light ‘shine’ through us.
So…how’s that going?
I have been doing some things, personally, to help myself focus more on the ONE who rules above all nations, and less on this election, but I’ve been wondering–and some have asked, ‘What can we DO?’.
Let me suggest 5 things:
- Pray for the candidates! That’s right–pray for them. Pray that God would show them their need to humble themselves and seek His wisdom. King Solomon, regarded as the wisest ruler of all time, earned this reputation primarily because, when asked by God what he wanted above everything else at the beginning of his reign, he answered this way:“Give me the wisdom and knowledge to lead them properly,[e] for who could possibly govern this great people of yours?”11 God said to Solomon, “Because your greatest desire is to help your people, and you did not ask for wealth, riches, fame, or even the death of your enemies or a long life, but rather you asked for wisdom and knowledge to properly govern my people— 12 I will certainly give you the wisdom and knowledge you requested. But I will also give you wealth, riches, and fame such as no other king has had before you or will ever have in the future!” (2 Chronicles 1:10-12)These candidates are surrounded by people who make them think they’re the most brilliant, wise, powerful people in the world, and they don’t need anything but for the rest of us to follow them. They need to humble themselves before the Lord. (James 4:10: “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up in honor.”) I encourage you to pray for these candidates–all of them.
- Pray for US–the American People! Pray that we would ‘push back’ from the ‘conventional’ wisdom, to step back from the way we’ve done things before, and to SEEK THE LORD! May we have a heart to know His will, to do what honors Him!
2) Get Informed!
- Do NOT accept the media narrative on this election–Yes, these are two SERIOUSLY flawed candidates…but what is more important–their personalities or their positions on the issues? Do you know what they are?
- For example, what does each candidate think about the Constitution of our great country–is it something to be ‘updated’, or something to be held to? Is it something which limits our freedom, or which limits the government’s power?
- What do they think about the ‘Free Market’? Do they want to leave businesses largely alone, depending on the American people to ‘vote with their wallets’, or do they want to regulate things and increasingly take over American businesses?
- What are their positions on Moral issues? What do they think about Abortion, for example? Are they in favor of any limits, or do they think abortion should be legal and unrestricted–even to minutes before full-term birth? What do they think about marriage–is it a sacred institution, instituted by God, or is it a conventional construct of society, which can be changed to fit society’s definitions? There are many more of these issues–do you know the Candidate’s positions?
3) Be a Good Steward of your vote!
- Pretend your vote was actually a $100 bill–and God would hold you responsible for what you do with it. Would you give it to Hillary Clinton? Would you give it to Donald Trump? Would you give it to Gary Johnson, or one of the ‘other’ candidates? Or, would you elect not to give it to anyone, prayerfully turning it back over to God without ‘spending’ it? I have been praying about this very thing, and I’m still unsure exactly what I’ll do. There is one reason I may end up using my ‘$100 bill’ and casting a vote, however, and that is…
4) Consider the long-term implications of your choice.
- What difference will it make if ‘your’ candidate wins…or another does?MUCH! whichever candidate wins will have enormous influence for decades–on things like the Supreme Court nominations, Religious Liberty and the right to Free speech; Economic recovery (long overdue) and economic freedom; Health care freedom and the very survival of Health Insurance companies; Military strength and policies; Immigration–legal and illegal–and whether our ‘borders’ (and therefore, citizenship) mean anything at all…the list goes on!
5) Therefore, I bring you back to #1: PRAY!
“I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. 2 Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity.” (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
Do not fear, pray! God is on His throne, and that will not change–no matter who wins!
One thing is for sure: If we will humble ourselves and pray, stand boldly on His word, and love others to the very best of our ability, that will have enormous impact on the future of our country, and our world.
If we don’t, then the determination of who becomes President will not matter all that much.